Monday 24 June 2013

Family Outing - Tsukada Nojo Singapore

Frontage of the restaurant

During the weekend, I paid a visit to the Tsukada Nojo Restaurant at Atrium@Orchard, located at level 3 (adjacent to Nana Green Tea cafe). While standing in the queue, I saw the notice saying that 'Bijin Nabe - 美人锅' will only be served after 5pm. Gosh, I wanted to turn around and walk away. However, since I was already in the queue, I decided to try its lunch set.

As the restaurant has limited seating capacity, it was fully occupied within 10 minutes after it opened at 11.30am. Flipping through the menu, I spotted the highly recommended Golden Jidori Ramen, which is prepared with water, salt (shio) and chicken bones that are stewed for over 8 hours to perfection. Besides the Jidori Ramen ($16.80), I also ordered the Curry Ramen ($16.80) and the Original Nikumaki Onigiri ($3 each). For the ramen, there are 3 selection of noodles, rice noodles, thin egg noodles (aka mee-kia) and thick mochi-mochi noodles. I chose the thick mochi-mochi noodles for both ramen. Upon ordering, the friendly waitress politely told me that if I did not like my Jidori Ramen to be too salty, the chef could reduce the saltiness of the soup. Wow, such customized service at a crowded restaurant.

When the ramen arrived, the ingredients (roasted honey chicken slice, half a piece of Ajitsuke tamago aka Japanese marinated soft-boiled egg for ramen, dried seaweed, vegetables, finely sliced leeks and green mustard) were placed separately on another plate. I had to add in one-by-one before savouring the Jidori Ramen. When I tasted the soup, it was heavenly and had a tinge of stickiness. One can imagine how much time and effort the chef had spent on brewing the soup to such perfection.

As for the Curry Ramen, I could taste the full flavour of an authentic Japanese Curry. It goes well with the thick Mochi-mochi noodles. The Nikumaki Onigiri, measuring about 7 cm (L) by 4 cm (B), is a rice ball mixed with roasted sesame seeds, wrapped up tightly with bacon strips, and coated with a layer of honey barbecued sauce. If you are a small-eater, you may want to share this onigiri with someone as it could be quite filling. 

Overall, I would recommend the Golden Jidori Ramen (with shio) if you are there for the first time. Will definitely go back to try the Bijin Nabe ($25), a pot of collagen-rich organic chicken broth with mushrooms, fresh vegetables, prawns and chicken chunks. Do keep a look out for the next write-up on the Bijin Nabe  美人锅







This will be my next food 'quest' - Bijin Nabe! :)

Tsukada Nojo
Address: 60B Orchard Road, Atrium@Orchard, #03-81
Tel: 63365003 
Opening hours: Mon - Sun / 11.30am - 4pm (Lunch) / 5pm - 10pm (Dinner) 

No comments:

Post a Comment