Sunday 2 June 2013

Family Outing - The Grandstand (formerly Turf City) and the Pasarbella

When my friend told me that we were going to the Grandstand (formerly Turf City), I was quite reluctuant to go. However, since it's a Sunday and I did not have anything on, I agreed to it.

When we reached the place, it was easy to get a carpark lot as there was ample parking spaces. I thought to myself, please don't bring me to some seafood restaurant or grandstand to watch grass patches...

When we stepped into the Grandstand, I was overwhelmed by the shops. Rows of cafes/restaurants (which I have never seen before) came greeting us along the aisles.

We walked straight to a place called the Pasarbella.


Passed by 'Le Patio' where there was a long queue for the Paella. The food looked delicious.


We ate at the 'Oceans of Seafood'. There was a plethora of fresh seafood where you can choose to order. As shown below, we ordered the chirashi, california temaki, red snapper miso soup and ebi sushi. The sashimi was cut into very thick slices and it tasted very fresh.


We also went over to the 'Five and Spice Kitchen'. Ordered the burgers and chicken wings. If you are looking for spices and madagascar vanilla pods ($8 for 5 pods), this is the place to go to.


After the lunch, we walked around the Pasarbella and did some grocery shopping.


Before we left the place, we ate at the Omakase Burger and bought breads (Viennoise Nature and The Orange) from the Maison Kayser. It was an enjoyable trip and I will definitely go back.


You may want to check out this website for more information (e.g. the location and operating hours) before heading down to the Grandstand and the Pasarbella (http://www.pasarbella.com).

1 comment:

  1. Nice post on PasarBella. Had a recent terrible experience at Cicely Kitchen (f.k.a. Five and Spice Kitchen) in PasarBella though.

    My partner ordered Brussels sprouts and sauteed mushrooms at Cicely Kitchen. Was informed that it would take 5-8mins. Instead, she was made to wait over for 30mins.

    When asked if the food was ready, the staff’s reply was there were many orders before hers. My partner’s sis told the teenage staff that he should have informed my partner earlier instead. We had gotten other food and were waiting for her return.

    I guess this comment must have peeved the boss Alicia Lin off. She came over, scooped the food from the cooking pan and chucked it to my partner & her sis. She said curtly “Nah, take it, take it.”

    Unfortunately, the food was not worth the wait of my family of 7 as both dishes were overly salty. Not wanting to waste our appetite on mediocre food (no problem though with the Boston lobsters, prawns, fish, paella, crackling roast, Iberico pork, russian cakes and the wonderful ale that we ordered), I took the sprouts back to Cicely Kitchen, told the crew that it was too salty and they can have it back. Sauteed mushroom got chucked unceremoniously into the bin. Anyway, I was not expecting any money back.

    I believe if you want to run a F&B business, the least you can do is to be respectful of your patrons and cook them decent food. Else, you really should not be in this line. Based on what I read in The Straits Times SoShiok article, maybe home cook “extraordinaire” Alicia Lin knows that the end is near hence the terrible attitude.

    Don’t take my words for it. Maybe my palate was tainted by the Iberico pork and lobsters. Try Cicely Kitchen and see if you still like the food or service.

    Well, I certainly didn’t……

    http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/pasarbella-bukit-timah/review/id-9b730700/

    ReplyDelete